WEEK 6- Historical Fiction & Hispanic/Latino YA Lit

 




     The I Survived books by Lauren Tarshis are some of my favorites to read. They are action-packed, thought-provoking, and informational. These books allow the reader to fill the shoes of the protagonist who navigates a difficult journey through tragedy, tumult, and conflict, all inspired by true events. It answers a question that children might often ask: "What would happen if the worst happened?" 

This specific book is about a little boy and a stranded dog trying to survive Hurricane Katrina. Separated from his family, eleven-year-old Barry is alone in New Orleans and just wants to get back to his family. We follow him as he overcomes disaster, fear, and uncertainty. Though the worst has happened, we see Barry grasp for bravery and courage and succeed. This book deals with themes of surviving against the odds, socio-economic disparities, and community and family against disaster. 

If I had a classroom,

I would have a discussion with them about disaster safety: fire drills, tornado safety, flood procedure, etc. I would have them brainstorm ideas of what to do if a hurricane (we'd use this simply because it is the premise of the book) were to happen. After brainstorming, I'd make a list of the things we mentioned and then help them make a step-by-step guide to what to do if there were a hurricane. This would help them with their research and writing skills. I would read this book and do the activity with 3rd and 4th graders.


                                                 Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo



        Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo is wonderful. Highlighting two young girls in the aftermath of their father's death, Clap When You Land pulls no punches. Our protagonists are half-sisters, unbeknownst to them. They come together after their father's plane crashes and their worlds collide. As the plot unravels, they figure out harsh truths about their father and, together, grapple with anger, loss, and betrayal.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was written very creatively and stylistically, switching between two points of view, Camino and Yahaira, and doing so through verse. This book deals with themes of trauma, grief, betrayal, family, and cultural identity.  

If I had a classroom, 

I would have discussions about where we all come from and have them explore their cultures. They could do guided research about where they are from and explore their family heritage and lineage. I would lead a discussion about the choices and mindsets of the protagonists and fish for feelings about them: "How did Camino losing her father make you feel? How have you dealt with loss in the past?" Maybe after the discussion, we could make a family tree and draw portraits of our family, their family, and their roles in our lives. 

I would also provide them with background knowledge on the Spanish language and put some of those commonly used words throughout the book on our word wall. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Juno by Soyung Pak

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

WEEK 7- Myths, Folklore, & Fantasy- OH MY!