WEEK 5- AFRICAN-AMERICAN & NATIVE AMERICAN LITERATURE

 

Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac details Ned Begay's life as he navigates childhood, embracing his heritage despite oppression, and using his Navajo culture with bravery and for the good of mankind. I think this is another story about having the courage to be who you are. A lot of our situations are not as extreme; we might not have ever been asked to deny a part of ourselves to assimilate to something else, but our protagonist was- and that became his strength. It took intelligence and resilience to overcome racism and injustice and fight for a country that does not fight for you. I enjoyed how the author wrote about the Navajo culture, like there was great love in his voice when he spoke about the traditions, the names, and the Navajo language.
If I had a classroom, I would do a canned food drive. I would research some people or places that might need help and make it a class project to help them, just like Ned did in his own classroom when he gave to those in need in Japan. It could be fun and memorable to help others, perhaps even those overseas, but especially those in our own community. I think this book also has some classic themes of "embrace who you are," and "your differences are your biggest strengths." So, going off of that, I would discuss with them the Navajo culture and traditions as explained in the book, then ask them about their own family traditions and what their family does that might be different from others.


This book was a wonderful, eye-opening read. It is unflinching and pointed but easy to understand. It is about the life of a young girl, Cassie Davis, her family, and their life in rural Mississippi during the Great Depression.
I think it is important for children to see how things were so that we will not be doomed to repeat America's past mistakes. If we can teach children that spreading hate and division is the roadblock to progression and healing, we can begin to create a safer world for them to live in. The book covers very sensitive/intense topics like racism, prejudice, and violence. Though I would save this one for upper elementary, I do think it is an important read. It does include slurs, which might be a little concerning, but I think it displays the truth of the time, and that's what matters. 
If I had a classroom, I would have very deep discussions with them about community and family. The characters in the book stuck close together during tough times. I'd have them journal about their own families and how they traversed hardship. I'd possibly have them partner up and draw pictures of their families, show them to each other, and explain the importance of family in their lives. The activity might seem a little young for 5th Graders, but they might enjoy a creative outlet with heavy discussions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Juno by Soyung Pak

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

WEEK 7- Myths, Folklore, & Fantasy- OH MY!