WEEK 4- Graphic Novels
This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki is about the summer of two young girls, Rose and Windy. Every summer, they take a trip to Awago Beach with their families, and the book takes us with them as they have fun together, watch scary movies, and come to terms with what is going on around them-- the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I especially liked this book because it is a graphic novel, and that is its strength. The visuals and the illustrations allowed me to bond closely with the characters, seeing what they see and how they see it. It was a special journey to take, because it is just a story about two young girls and their summer. As a girl, it was easy for me to relate to the conversations and ideas that were being tossed around, and their growth, however subtle, was unique and a joy to take part in. Though it dealt with deeper themes (grief, pregnancy, family dynamics), it did so gracefully and with poise, boob jokes aside (though they were funny).
If I had a class...
This book does handle mature themes and includes profanity, so I'd imagine 7-8th graders reading this one. There is a social-emotional element to this book, so I'd be excited for them to read it, especially the girl demographic. If I had a classroom, I'd assign this as silent reading. At the end of the session, I'd have them write in personal journals: what that specific section of the book made them feel; what kinds of experiences can you think of that are similar to what the characters are going through; can you draw on those experiences? I'd instruct that no one share what is in their journals unless they feel they want to, so that it stays serious and personal, a way for them to process their feelings through this book if they need to. It would also be a way for them to form connections with what they are reading. I think it also might be cool for students who might be into drawing or illustration, so that they can see what their art can be and what it can translate to- that they could draw stories, as well.
El Deafo Cece Bell is a triumph. The book features a little girl who gets very sick with meningitis and becomes deaf. Our protagonist, Cece, grows older while navigating what it means to be a child who struggles with hearing. From learning how to deal with new and unique friendships to trying to survive the day with a huge hearing aid called The Phonic Ear strapped to her chest, El Deafo delights you and keeps you guessing.
I liked this book and thoroughly enjoyed Cece's coming-of-age journey through the lens of her hearing loss. It dealt with themes of navigating a new school, finding friends, and even a first crush, things students might find relatable. El Deafo shot a big, beautiful spotlight on Cece, a member of the Deaf Community; it was a pleasure watching Cece overcome difficulties and face challenges with bravery. I would only hope kids would be inspired just the same by her courage to be different. Though this book is wonderful, I didn't expect it to be as long as it was. However, it is worth every page.
If I had a classroom,
I would have in-depth discussions with my class about the differences they might feel they have and uplift them: maybe some kids are taller while others are shorter, maybe someone has freckles and someone has dimples. These differences, though not as rattling as being deaf, are what make us stand out. I'd want them to see that their own differences, whatever those may be, make them who they are, and that's pretty cool.
I think a fun activity might be to have them pick something that they feel makes them unique and create superhero personas, teaching them to use their dissimilarities to their advantage. They could make up superpowers, much like Cece as El Deafo! It would be fun to dress up their superhero personas to reflect their own personalities, encouraging them to be proud of who they are. It might seem a tad corny for older kids; I see this as an activity for grades 2-3.
Comments
Post a Comment