Week 3- Boys & Books
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
For Thomas, entering a new world was not exciting or fun- it shattered the ground beneath him. Thomas, who can only remember his name, is thrust into a new life of "Grivers", "Shanks", "Shucks", "Keepers", and "Greenbeans"- none of which he understands. What he understands is the intense fear he feels when the metal box opens to this strange place and the unearthed feeling he has when realizing there is no turning back. Now he must survive with the new rules he's been given while on a trek to uncover the truth.
I had never read the book before, and after I finally stopped comparing it to the movie (I love the movie btw), I realized how smart and profound it is. There comes a moment in a kid's life where new things, change, and experiences all feel intense and earth-shattering. Thomas' situation is heightened and literally life-or-death, but even so, kids will find this book relatable and entertaining. It is told from a boy's perspective, which I feel might help boys put themselves in Thomas' shoes and question their own ability to socialize, connect, and overcome during a scary or isolating time. This book will have them thinking about their own resolve and ability to be inventive and resourceful.
If I had a classroom...
I would create a society with rules, or better yet, have them create their own society with its own rules, language, food, dangers, and safety protocols. I'd measure their ability to mirror or invert the idea of society in their own creative way. This way, the class would be able to interact with their own thoughts about survival, family, and societal norms.
The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig
I really enjoyed reading this. This story tackles belonging, isolation, and the struggle to find connection head-on while making it a very digestible and wonderful read. The illustration is stunning and perfectly displays the feeling of being invisible or feeling like no one sees you. I think any child, boy or girl, would be able to relate, although I do find it valuable that this is told from a boy's point of view. I think this will help boys navigate showing kindness and compassion in the classroom and encourage them to be inclusive toward their fellow classmates.
If I had a classroom...
I would go to the back of the book (and I thought this was so neat) where there are discussion questions and discuss this with my class. Here is an example of one of the questions:

Comments
Post a Comment